Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
Vegetarian Bangladeshi Cookery Class with Shiddiqur| Family Style | BRISTOL
June 20 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Shiddiqur from Bangladesh at the Cooking It Cookery School in Bristol.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Shiddiqur as the head of the family! He will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Shiddiqur will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Bangladesh. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Onion Bhaji with Mint Sauce
- Pepe Dhal
- Sabji Polao (Vegetable pilau)
- Begun Bhaji (Fried aubergine)
- Traditional Bangladeshi Salad
This menu is vegetarian. Allergens include: mustard, nuts, milk, eggs.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Shiddiqur:
“My name is Shiddiqur Rahaman, I come from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Our main food is fish curry and rice, but we love lots of different dishes like vegetables, meat, chicken. In our daily life we cook at least three or four items for our lunch and dinner and that’s how we are very passionate about curry. I came to this country about 13 years ago, but I didn’t like the curry here because it’s not our traditional way of cooking. Then I started to learn from my mum over the phone and it didn’t take long because I used to help my mum in the kitchen at home, so I had some idea about our recipes. Everyone in my family loved my mum’s cooking. After that I started cooking, and day by day I started to love cooking because it became my passion. I would like to introduce our traditional recipes to everyone, and I am excited to do this.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.