- This event has passed.
(CANCELLED) Venezuelan cookery class with Rosa | FAMILY STYLE| KENT
May 11, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
This cookery class will be taught by the wonderful Venezuelan chef Rosa at St Martin and St Pauls Parish Centre in Canterbury, Kent.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Rosa as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Rosa will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Venezuela. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Cachapas (Corn Pancakes) with Sofrito (Black bean stew)
- Pico de gallo (Fresh Tomato Salsa)
- Bollos Pelones (Venezuelan beef dumplings with tomato sauce)
- Vegetarian Bollos Pelones (Venezuelan Quorn dumplings with tomato sauce)
- Tequenos (Cheese sticks wrapped in a ribbon of dough)
This menu caters to both vegetarians and those who eat meat. Allergens include: eggs, milk, gluten, and celery . Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Rosa:
“Hola! My name is Rosa and I am from Venezuela. I was born in the Capital, Caracas. I have so many memories of my beloved city: a concrete jungle with bright blue skies, fluffy clouds and the Avila mountain always green and majestic, making it the perfect postcard!.
At a very young age, my mom introduced me to the joy of gastronomy. As a single mom, I think that was the way she found to bond. We would dine out every Sunday, after she finished work, choosing from our favourite restaurants. Venezuelan gastronomy is very rich and diverse because it has a strong influence of Spain, Italy and Portugal.
I came to the UK at the end of 2018. I have always been a foodie but because I was not allowed to work I had to find a way to cultivate this passion at a lower cost. I started picking up Food Bank parcels and volunteering at the local food club and I discovered that using humble ingredients did not stop me from making delicious and nutritious recipes.
So come and join one of my classes, we will have lots of fun together and you will discover some traditional dishes from Venezuela. “
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.