Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
Eritrean Cookery Class with Helen | Station Style | LONDON
May 29 @ 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm
It’s our joy to welcome you to our Station Style Cookery Class, a one-of-a-kind cookery class experience where refugee and migrant chefs teach personal recipes from their home countries using traditional techniques. It’s a unique opportunity to learn and taste the world’s best, and to feed the foodie in you who loves nothing more than trying new, mouth-watering flavours and incredible-looking dishes!
At our Station Style Cookery Classes, each participant will be paired up and have their own cooking station where they will prepare all the dishes for the night. Each station will be provided with all the ingredients and equipment needed to make them. Throughout the evening, Chef Helen will share stories about their cuisine and culture, and lead the group step-by-step through their recipes. She will pause in between to answer questions, talk through special tips and techniques, and provide feedback on the dishes. Yes, you learn in the most authentic way! You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Timtimo (Brown Lentils)
- Hamli (Curried Greens)
- Eritrean Salad
This menu is vegan. Allergens include: celery, vegetable stock may contain gluten. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Helen:
“I was brought up in a city called Asmara – the capital city of Eritrea. In 2014, I was forced to join the army. Everyone in my country had to join. After 3 years of being there I wanted to leave the army because it was very dangerous and scary. Often, there was not enough food and water for the soldiers. There was never any rest. My father was very sick at that time so I asked to go visit him in hospital but they wouldn’t let me. So, I escaped to see him. The authorities went to the hospital and put me in prison. I was there for 6 months until my aunt’s son paid someone to help me escape. I went to Sudan, then Turkey, then Greece, then Italy and finally, Belgium. In Belgium, 12 of us snuck into the back of a lorry which took us to the UK.
I am now happy here in London. People help me and there are so many amazing services I can avail like access to medicine and education, unlike in my country. I feel very grateful to be here. I am still very good friends with the people I met in the lorry. They are like family to me.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 16 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.