Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Iraqi-Kurdish Cookery Class with Hero | Training Class | LONDON
August 9 @ 11:45 am - 2:15 pm
Our new batch of talented Migrateful Chefs are graduating soon and they are now ready to hold practice cookery classes all throughout August!
This particular training class will be led by Chef Hero from Iraqi-Kurdish at the Migrateful Cookery School in Clerkenwell, London.
This will be the first time she will teach the paying public a Family Style Cookery Class, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
In this class, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Hero as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Hero will share stories about her food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Iraq. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
Please note that these are training sessions where we will be testing the dishes, how the class runs and the quantities in the recipes. Think of it like a technical rehearsal at the theatre. This means it may run for longer than a normal class and involve some stop, starting. Our chef training team will also be present to monitor and observe along with volunteers who will help run the class.
At the end of the class, we will ask the participants for feedback, which will be valuable for our chef-in-training’s learning and development especially when they start teaching normal classes.
The menu for the day will be a surprise! But here’s a snapshot of Chef Hero’s delicious dishes!
A message from our Chef Hero:
” Hello, my name is Hero.I came to England in 2016 from the war in Iraq. During my journey here I lived in the refugee camp in Dunkirk with my daughter and son who has Down syndrome. I’ll never forget the day the UK Home Office called and said I could come and stay with my brother in Sheffield. I am very lucky.
My favourite dish to cook is Dolma – made with meat or vegetables. I cooked Dolma in the refugee camp for the volunteers who were helping me. It made me so happy to share my Kurdish food with them. One of my favorite memories at Dunkirk was when a volunteer named Lolita would take me and my family out, to shower, to go to the park and to wash clothes. She was the one who helped buy all the ingredients I needed to make Dolma. It was a very special moment for me.
I moved to London in 2020. I am improving my English, my son is in school everyday and my daughters are in good colleges.
I wanted to become a Migrateful chef because I love to cook and meet people. When I cook, I forget my problems and it makes me happy. I’m excited to share my delicious Kurdish food with you.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- Unlike normal classes, training classes cannot be booked using gift vouchers. We are also unable to accommodate any ticket transfers from non-training classes.
- We will not be able to cater to any dietary requirements nor substitute any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.