Below you’ll find all the details for this event. If our site isn’t behaving the way it should, you can book online classes here or you can book in-person classes here.
- This event has passed.
Jamaican Cookery Class with Delores | Family Style | LONDON
May 26, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
This cookery class will be taught by our wonderful Jamaican chef, Delores, at Holdspace in Angel.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Delores as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Delores will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Jamaica. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Rice and Peas
- Curried Chicken
- Vegetable Curry
- Sorrel (Hibiscus Juice)
- Fried Dumplings
- Fried Plantain
This menu contains meat but has plenty of vegetarian options. Allergens include: celery, mustard, gluten, and milk. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements!
A message from our Chef Delores:
“Hello I’m Delores from Jamaica. I was born into a family of chefs. As a young child growing up, I always helped my grandmother with the cooking, preparing different dishes while my mother was out working as a chef. I love cooking delicious, nutritional food using lots of garlic and spices.
In 2001, I came to the UK on my own. In 2005, they took away my immigration status and I was no longer allowed to work – 17 years ago and I’m still waiting! Luckily I am a very positive person. I love singing and my belief in God has kept me strong all these years. I really do love to cook and entertain people. I feel very positive when I’m cooking. A dish that reminds me of home is rice and peas. In my country we didn’t cook rice in the week – only on Sundays. In the week we eat yam, green banana, cassava. That is why for me, rice, peas and chicken is like the Sunday roast equivalent in the UK.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.