- This event has passed.
Nigerian Cookery Class with Stella | Station Style | LONDON
May 28, 2022 @ 11:45 am - 2:45 pm
It’s our joy to welcome you to our Station Style Cookery Class, a one-of-a-kind cookery class experience where refugee and migrant chefs teach personal recipes from their home countries using traditional techniques. It’s a unique opportunity to learn and taste the world’s best, and to feed the foodie in you who loves nothing more than trying new, mouth-watering flavours and incredible-looking dishes!
Your class will be taught by our wonderful Nigerian chef Stella at the Migrateful Cookery School in London.
At our Station Style Cookery Classes, each participant will be paired up and have their own cooking station where they will prepare all the dishes for the night. Each station will be provided with all the ingredients and equipment needed to make them. Throughout the evening, Chef Stella will share stories about their cuisine and culture, and lead the group step-by-step through their recipes. She will pause in between to answer questions, talk through special tips and techniques, and provide feedback on the dishes. Yes, you learn in the most authentic way! You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Nigerian Fried Rice
- Garnished Plantain
- Uzobah (Nigerian coconut custard pudding)
This menu contains shellfish but can be made vegetarian or vegan. Allergens include: shellfish, celery, milk . Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Stella:
“I grew up in Nigeria and started cooking and growing food from a very young age. I LOVE food! I love cooking, sharing food with others and the way that it brings people together. I didn’t have the opportunity to go to school and instead worked at a young age in my mother’s street food restaurant making akara, a popular cake made from beans, plantain, and her own creation, a special snack called meat pie. Her food was very popular as it was so yummy! We had a small farm where we would grow our own aubergines, okra, mango, palm, beans, yam and other delicious vegetables. Everything was organic and tasted so much better than the ingredients you get in the supermarkets over here. Arriving to England, I was stuck in an abusive situation with a man who promised me opportunities and took advantage of me. I experienced a lot of racism and abuse and felt very scared.
After three and a half years, a friend helped me escape. I found support with the Helen Bamber Foundation and joined a choir, a photography group, a hiking club. They also introduced me to Migrateful to continue developing my main passion– cooking! I would love to have a garden or an allotment, or even a farm, to grow my own vegetables. I want to be a chef, to write my own recipes and to be able to make the best food, caring for the ingredients from seed to plate.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 16 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.