Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Algerian Cookery Class with Meriam | Training Class | LONDON
August 19 @ 11:45 am - 2:15 pm
Our new batch of talented Migrateful Chefs are graduating soon and they are now ready to hold practice cookery classes all throughout August!
This particular training class will be led by Chef Meriam from Algeria at the Migrateful Cookery School in Clerkenwell, London.
This will be the first time she will teach the paying public a Family Style Cookery Class, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
In this class, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Meriam as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Meriam will share stories about her food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Algeria. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
Please note that these are training sessions where we will be testing the dishes, how the class runs and the quantities in the recipes. Think of it like a technical rehearsal at the theatre. This means it may run for longer than a normal class and involve some stop, starting. Our chef training team will also be present to monitor and observe along with volunteers who will help run the class.
At the end of the class, we will ask the participants for feedback, which will be valuable for our chef-in-training’s learning and development especially when they start teaching normal classes.
Meriam is part of our new chef cohort and she is currently working with our Chef Development Team to finalise her recipes she will be teaching in her classes. We have provided a sample of dishes which may be included in this class but will confirm closer to the time of the class, including allergen information. If you have specific dietary requirements, please wait until the allergen information has been released to book into this class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught includes:
- Pea and Broad Bean Couscous
- Chorba (Lamb Soup)
- Bourak (Vegetable rolls)
- Chakshouka (Spiced Pepper Sauce)
- Algerian Salad
- Tamina (dessert)
This menu contains meat (lamb) but is vegetarian friendly (5/6 dishes are meat-free). Allergens include: To be confirmed.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Allergen information or this class will be released closer to the class time. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Meriam:
” I am Meriam Djabbar and I come from the centre of Algeria. Algeria is the biggest country in Africa and we have lots of different influences. It is located in north Africa between Morocco and Tunisia. In Algeria I was a firefighter and paramedic. I worked for 13 years and I really loved my job.
I came to England in 2018 with my husband and my kids to find a new life. When I arrived here it was very difficult for me because I had never spoken English before – only French and Arabic. It was so difficult to communicate with people. I was determined to go forward. I went to college to learn English. It was brilliant for me. Now although I am not fluent, I understand most things.
I learned how to cook from my mum when I was about 10 years old and it has always brought me so much joy. My dream is to be a chef. I watched Masterchef on TV and I used to dream that I would be part of it. I sent an email to Masterchef and I said I wanted to participate but they said I couldn’t because I didn’t have the right to remain. However, they sent me details of Migrateful. I found a door and it opened for me with Migrateful. It is important to never lose hope.
My kids encourage me to cook really well. Every night my kids say “Mum, you’re the best chef,’ and that makes me strong. I believe in myself more. It makes me want to keep inspiring them. Maybe one day I’ll still get on Masterchef, if not, maybe a food business where people can enjoy delicious Algerian food can also be nice!”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- Unlike normal classes, training classes cannot be booked using gift vouchers. We are also unable to accommodate any ticket transfers from non-training classes.
- We will not be able to cater to any dietary requirements nor substitute any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.