- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Cuban Cookery Class with Lola | Family Style | LONDON
May 14, 2022 @ 11:45 am - 2:15 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be taught by our wonderful Chef Lola from Cuba at Migrateful Cookery School, Clerkenwell.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Lola as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Lola will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Cuba. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Quimbombó (Okra)
- Congrí (Rice and Beans)
- Fried Plantain
- Casco De Toronjas (Grapefruit helmets)
This menu is Vegetarian and can be made vegan. Allergens include: milk. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements! Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Lola:
“I am Lola and I am from Cuba. I like to make people laugh. I often can’t find the words in English, but I find a theatrical way to express myself especially when I’m teaching my recipes. I am passionate about Cuban food and I like teaching. I’m happy to speak Spanish in my classes and also teach some Cuban salsa moves. In Cuba I was a vet working with farm animals. I came to the UK 12 years ago to live with my daughter and her son. I only speak Spanish at home so I’ve never managed to learn English which feels very isolating when you live in a country where you can’t speak the language. I’m 72 years old, and I’ve decided I’m determined to try to learn English. Migrateful is helping me to do that because I get to practice English with my cookery students. I came from a very poor family in Cuba so I really value every meal I eat. One of my favourite dishes to teach is called “Congrí” which has black beans and white rice. This dish is about celebrating diversity in Cuba, when white and black people mix together.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 16 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.