- This event has passed.
Iranian Cookery Class with Elahe | Family Style | LONDON
May 17, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Elahe from Iran at Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant and Castle.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Elahe as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef [Name] will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Iran. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Beh Aloo (Quince Stew)
- KASHK-O BADMEJAN (Celebratory aubergine dish)
- Masto Khair (Yogurt dip)
This menu is vegetarian. Allergens include: gluten, milk, nuts, and celery. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements! Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Elahe:
“My name is Elahe and I am from Iran. Not being able to communicate was one of the biggest barriers I faced when I arrived to the UK. I was introduced to Jess through my dear daughter Parastoo and since then I have become very engaged and eager to dedicate myself to Migrateful. It has helped me to improve my confidence and self-esteem and to believe in my capabilities. I am cooking with love and passion again like in the old days. Food is a very special thing to me – I remember as a child waking up to the smell of my grandmother’s cooking and it’s beautiful aromas as she added the ingredients in the early mornings. I would like to thank Migrateful for offering me this great opportunity to make friends, use my talents and to succeed. It is hard not to love Iranian food. Typical Iranian main dishes are combinations of rice with meat (such as lamb, chicken, or fish), vegetables (such as onions and various herbs), and nuts. Fresh green herbs are frequently used, along with fruits such as plums, pomegranate, quince, prunes, apricots, and raisins. Characteristic Iranian flavourings such as saffron, dried lime, cinnamon, and parsley are mixed and used in special dishes.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.