- This event has passed.
Vegetarian Friendly Somali Cookery Class with Obah | Family Style | BRISTOL
December 19, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Obah from Somalia at Cooking It in Bristol.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Obah as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Obah will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Somalia. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Beef Squaar (Beef Stew) | Meat (Beef); Celery, may contain Sulphites
- Vegetable Squaar (Vegetable Stew) | Vegan; Celery
- Barissie Iskudaskars(Seasoned Rice) | Vegan; Gluten
- Shidni (Spicey Chutney) | Vegetarian; Milk
- Kebase (Somalian Chapatti) | Vegetarian; Gluten, Milk, Egg
This menu caters to both vegetarians and those who eat meat (beef). Allergens include: milk, eggs, gluten, celery.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Obah:
“Hello, my name is Obah. I am from Somalia but was born and grew up in Kuwait. I never cooked when I was young, as my mum never had time to teach us. I learnt to cook when I got married to my husband 23 years ago, starting with Kabes (Somalian chapatti). It didn’t turn out perfect the first time, but I was determined to do it again and from there I just learnt through practicing. I really enjoy learning about new food from different cultures, and mixing them together!.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.