Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Sri Lankan Cookery Class with Jahan | Family Style | LONDON
June 16 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Jahan from Sri Lanka, at the Holdspace in Angel, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Jahan as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Jahan will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Sri Lanka. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Vada (Chickpea Fritters)
- Mint Chutney
- Soya Devil
- Green Pea Kaju Curry (Green Pea and Cashew Nut Curry)
- Brinjol Moju (Aubergine Moju)
This menu is vegan. Allergens include: nuts, soya, celery and gluten.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Jahan:
“Hi! I’m Jahan. I am from the middle of Sri Lanka from a city called Kurunegala. We have three ethnicities in my city: Tamil, Sinhalese and Muslim. We all live together in this city and share 90% of the same food. My dad owned a restaurant in my city. So from the age of 10, I cooked together with my family for the guests. Everything was homemade. We never bought curry powder from the shop. We made it from scratch. It was a restaurant for locals. My father was a very good cook. From a very young age I watched my father cooking and that’s how I learnt. I love cooking Sri Lankan food. Sri Lankan cuisine has been shaped by many historical and cultural factors. Contact with foreign traders who brought new food items, cultural influences from neighbouring countries as well as the local traditions of the country’s ethnic groups have all helped shape Sri Lankan cuisine. Influences from Indian (particularly South Indian), Indonesian and Dutch cuisines are particularly evident.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.