- This event has passed.
Sri Lankan Cookery Class with Tilly | Family Style | BRISTOL
September 7, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Tilly from Sri Lankan at the Coexist Community Kitchen in Bristol.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Tilly as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Tilly will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Sri Lanka. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Brinjal Curry (Aubergine Curry)
- Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
- Sri Lankan Dhal
- Vegetable Rice
- Simple Pineapple Dessert
This menu caters to both vegans and those who eat meat (chicken). Allergens include: eggs, mustard.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Tilly:
“Hi I am Tilly from the South of Sri Lanka. I arrived in the UK on my own in my teens and I didn’t know how to cook. I was starving many days as I didn’t know how to cook and I missed my mother’s food. One time she rang me and asked me what I was eating in England so I told her I was very hungry and not eating properly. So my mother said “take the phone to the kitchen and follow my cooking instructions”. That’s how I learnt to cook – over the phone! I miss mainly three things about my mother country; my family, the food and the weather. Sri Lankan food is delicious and I’m very excited to have the opportunity to teach others how to cook it!”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.