Below you’ll find all the details for this event. If our site isn’t behaving the way it should, you can book online classes here or you can book in-person classes here.
- This event has passed.
Sudanese cookery class with Negla | Family Style | BRISTOL
December 5, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Negla from Sudan at Cooking It in Bristol.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Negla as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Negla will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Sudan. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Sudanese Dama (Chicken Curry) | Meat (Chicken); None
- Sudanese Chilli Sauce | Vegan; Nuts
- Sudanese Graa (Sudanese Squash Curry) | Vegan; None
- Molah Nemyah (Okra Dip) | Vegetarian; Milk
- Gurasa (Sudanese Pancakes) | Vegan; Gluten
- Baklava | Vegetarian; Nuts, Gluten, Milk
- Hibiscus Drink | Vegan; None
This menu caters to both vegetarians and those who eat meat (chicken). Allergens include: nuts, milk, gluten.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Negla:
“Hello I am Negla from Sudan. My grandmother taught me to cook (my mother died when I was 15 years old) when I got married age 19 – she explained to me it’s very important to be able to cook for your husband. But even then I didn’t take much interest in cooking becuase my auntie and sisters always did the cooking at home. Then 10 years ago me and my family were forced to leave Sudan becuase of the war and we arrived to the UK as refugees. We didn’t have my sisters around anymore so I had to start cooking for my family. It was the first time I had properly cooked for my husband. I have 3 daughters and one son. They liked my cooking a lot. I started to try lots of different dishes and then I realised I was an amazing cook.”
Sudanese cuisine consists of a generous share of stews and gravies—often eaten by hand—fresh and cooked salads, dips, lime, peanut, rice dishes, sweet and savoury pastries, unique breads, and decadent desserts. In line with other Muslim-majority countries, lamb and chicken are the preferred meats.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.