Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
Syrian Cookery Class with Heba | Family Style | KENT
July 13 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Heba from Syria at St Martin and St Pauls Parish Centre in Canterbury, Kent.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Heba as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Heba will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Syria. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Mujadara (Bulgar wheat with lentils)
- Fattoush (Chopped Salad with Fried Bread)
- Molokhia (Mallow Leaf with Poached Chicken and Lemon)
- Molokhia (Mallow Leaf in a Lemon Broth)
- Kunafa (Shredded filo pastry cheesecake with rose syrup)
This menu caters to both vegetarians and those who eat meat (chicken). Allergens include: gluten, nuts, milk.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Heba:
“Hello everyone, my name is Heba and I am from Syria. The meaning of my name is gift from God. I have been living in the UK since 2018 and I live with my family in Folkestone where I am very happy, and hope that my happiness will be permanent. In Syria I was a nurse working in a hospital for 3 years helping surgeons, and I am also a hairdresser! We left Syria because of the war and after we lost everything, my father, memories and our home we fled into the unknown and lived in Lebanon…six years of hell that I will never forget. “
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.