- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT)Vegetarian Syrian Cookery Class w/ Majeda | Family Style | LONDON
June 23, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Majeda from Syria at Holdspace in Angel!
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Majeda as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Majeda will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Syria. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- HARRAK ISBAAO (Lentils and pasta with tamarind and pomegranate)
- MOUTABAL (Charred Aubergines with Tahini and Yogurt)
- FATTOUSH SALAD (Traditional Syrian Salad)
- MAKLOWBE (Upside down aubergine and rice)
This menu is vegetarian. Allergens include: sesame, celery, nuts, milk and gluten.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Majeda:
“Hi, I’m Majeda, a human right activist from Syria! I had been working as a children’s therapist when the war broke out in Syria in 2011. Me and my family had lived a happy and privileged life in a big house in Damascus. I organised an initiative to feed the thousands of displaced Syrians who were arriving in the capital, having had their homes bombed by the Syrian government. As a result of this activism, I was imprisoned by the regime. I eventually managed to escape Syria and now use food to continue my campaigning in exile. In December 2017, I got refugee status in the UK and my two boys have now come to join me.
I believe there is a relationship between cooking and love and that preparing a meal for the one you love, combining your skills and your feelings to create something, can convey a lot to the person: be it husband, children or friends. People usually leave my cookery classes newly politicised about the Syrian situation and delighted by our incredibly tasty food“
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.