Below you’ll find all the details for this event. If our site isn’t behaving the way it should, you can book online classes here or you can book in-person classes here.
- This event has passed.
Syrian Cookery Class with Manal | Family Style | BRIGHTON
May 12, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Manal from Syria at Wild Artisan Cafe in Brighton.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Manal as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Manal will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Syria. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Muhammara (Red pepper and walnut dip)
- Baba Ghanoush (Aubergine dip)
- Laban ma khiar (Yogurt and cucumber salad)
- Maqloubeh (Layered chicken, vegetables & rice dish)
- Vegetarian Maqloubeh (Upside Down Spiced Rice Cake)
- Maamoul (Date filled biscuits)
Allergens include: nuts, milk, gluten, sesame, and sulphur dioxide. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements!
A message from our Chef Manal:
“Hello. My name is Manal and I am from Syria. I have been living in the UK since 2014 along with my husband and two children. My love of cooking started at a young age when, like many Arabic girls, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen helping my mother to prepare family meals. I went on to study cooking at college and spent a couple of years teaching cookery classes for 14-17 year olds at a school in Syria.
Since arriving in the UK, I have channelled my energy into completing English language and book-keeping courses, the Migrateful chef’s training programme and I am about to start studying photography at university. I have also produced my own Syrian cookery book to raise funds for refugees and recently I have been asked to cater for some private events which is very exciting and something I would like to do more of. My aim is to build a successful career for myself which combines my passions for cooking and photography.
I can’t wait to teach you my favourite traditional Syrian recipes and to share stories about Syrian culture as we cook and enjoy a meal together.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.