- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Turkish Cookery Class with Yasemin| Family Style | LONDON
November 2, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Yasemin from Turkey at the Holdspace in London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Yasemin as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Yasemin will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Turkey. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught includes:
- Sarma (Stuffed Vine Leaves) | Vegetarian; Milk, Sulphites.
- Mercimek Kofte (Red Lentil Balls)| Vegan; Gluten, Sulphites.
- Manti (Turkish Dumplings with Lamb| Meat (Lamb); Eggs, Gluten, Milk.
- Hunkar Begendi (Lamb Stew on Aubergine Puree)| Meat (Lamb); Gluten, Milk, Sulphites.
- Ezme Salad | Vegan
- Kabak Tatlisi (Spiced Pumpkin Dessert)| Vegan; Tree nuts, Sesame.
This menu contains meat (Lamb) . Allergens include: Milk, Sulphites, Gluten, Eggs, Tree nuts, Sesame.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Yasemin:
“My name is Yasemin and I’m from Turkey. I came to the UK two years ago. I am married with two children, a boy and a girl.
I love to cook for my family, friends, neighbours and visitors. I began to cook at home with my mother and learnt traditional Turkish recipes from her. I love making different types of food from pasta to cakes to traditional Turkish food. I did a cookery course in Turkey and now learning more by watching famous Turkish chefs such as Oktay Usta on YouTube. Sometimes I cook and sell food to raise money for a children’s charity.
I studied early years education and history at university and worked as a teacher in Turkey and Tanzania, where I lived for 8 years. I am excited to be sharing my passions for delicious food and for teaching with you in my classes. I hope you will enjoy the experience. You will also be helping me on my way to my dream: to become a professional chef and to open my own restaurant.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.