- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Turkmen Cookery Class with Guncha| Family Style | LONDON
October 11, 2022 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Guncha from Turkmenistan at Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant and Castle, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Guncha as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Guncha will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Turkmenistan. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught includes:
- Dolanan Badamjan (Rolled Aubergines with Herbs and Walnuts)| Vegetarian; Milk, Nuts
- Pomidor Sebet(Stuffed Vine Tomatoes)| Vegan; Celery
- Mash Garma (Mung Bean and Rice Stew)| Vegan; Celery, Gluten
- Dograma (Turkmen shredded meat and bread stew)| Meat (Lamb); Gluten, Milk
- Govrulan Borek (Filled meat or vegetarian pastries)| Vegetarian; Gluten, Milk
- Okroshka (Yoghurt Salad)| Vegetarian; Milk
This menu is mostly vegetarian but contains one dish that has a meat (lamb) and vegetarian filling options. Allergens include: Milk, Nuts, Celery, Gluten.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Guncha:
“My name is Guncha. I am from Turkmenistan and particularly proud of the hospitality of its people, and my beautiful country.
I arrived in the UK in 2004 with my two children and husband. I grew up in a big family of five children and had a very happy childhood in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan’s capital; one of the main countries on the Silk Road. Both my parents are doctors and I am very proud of my father who has saved many people’s lives. In Turkmenistan I lectured in pedagogical subjects. I am passionate about food and love singing and dancing. I play a traditional instrument called dutar which is made from Mulberry wood and has two strings.
Being a migrant arriving in a new country is very difficult as you have to start your life from scratch. I love the UK but still miss Turkmenistan and our delicious food which I want to share with you in my classes.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. They cost £18 per apron. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our events online.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.