Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Ethiopian Cookery Class with Sefanit | Family Style |LONDON
November 28 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Sefanit from Ethiopia at St Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace in Bishopsgate, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Sefanit as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Sefanit will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Ethiopia. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Azifa (Brown Lentil Salad) | Vegan; Mustard
- Gomen (Sauteed Spring Greens) | Vegan; None
- Fossolia And Carrot (Fried Green Beans and Carrot)| Vegan; None
- Misir Wot (Red Lentil Stew)| Vegan; None
- Telba Fitfit (Linseed or Brown Flaxseed Salad)|Vegan; Injera may contain gluten.
- Ayeb (Ethiopian Soft Cheese)| Vegetarian; Milk
This menu is vegetarian, all dishes a part from the soft cheese are vegan. Allergens include: mustard and milk. Injera may contain gluten.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Sefanit:
” Hello, My name is Sefanit and I am Ethiopian. I was born in the northern part of Ethiopia and grew up in a beautiful mountainous region. When I first moved to London in 2000, as a young girl, life was difficult. I was alone and I found it hard to adjust. I’ve had some ups and downs but I’m now settled and London is my home. I live here with my 11-year old daughter who is the love of my life.
I was lucky to have the chance to return regularly to Ethiopia and to learn to cook with my mother and grandmother. Ethiopia is a big part of my life. The colours, smells and community of my childhood are still with me and in me. In Ethiopia, food is everything and I can think of nothing better than sharing my delicious vegan and vegetarian food and culture with you.”
A message from St Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace:
“St Ethelburga’s work sits at the intersection of climate and peace. We believe there can be no peace on Earth unless we also realise peace with Earth. We offer events, training, leadership programmes and multimedia content which equip and inspire people to become peacemakers in their own contexts.The Centre is based in a unique 800 year old, Grade I listed building in the heart of London. Find out more: www.stethelburgas.org.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.