Below you’ll find all the details for this event. If our site isn’t behaving the way it should, you can book online classes here or you can book in-person classes here.
- This event has passed.
Vegetarian Friendly Turkmen Cookery Class with Maral | Family Style |LONDON
March 21 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Maral from Turkmenistan at Holdspace in Angel, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Maral as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Maral will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Turkmenistan. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught includes:
- Manti (Turkmen dumplings with herby yoghurt dip) | Meat (Lamb); Eggs, Gluten, Milk.
- Chureak (Puffed Bread) | Vegetarian; Eggs, Gluten, Milk.
- Vinegret (Beetroot Salad) | Vegan; May contain Mustard.
- Bademjan (Aubergine Salad) | Vegan; None
- Kelem Dolma(Stuffed Cabbage) | Vegetarian; Milk.
- Fig Jam with Ricotta |Vegetarian; Milk.
This menu contains meat (lamb) but is vegetarian friendly (5/6 dishes are meat-free) . Allergens include: eggs, gluten, milk, may contain mustard.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Maral:
“My name is Maral. I’m from Turkmenistan and I’m excited to share my favourite traditional food with you. Turkmenistan used to be a part of the Soviet Union. It has borders with Iran and Afghanistan and shares much delicious food culture with those countries.
I started cooking at a young age with my grandmother. She was an amazing cook. I lived with her for a few years and I loved watching her cook usually early in the morning. When I moved out, that’s when I started doing things myself. Her cooking inspired me and I love to serve the recipes I learnt from her and recreate a taste of home.
Cooking is a form of meditation for me. It’s a good way to feel relaxed. Many of my recipes are prepared together with friends and family. I believe that sharing and preparing food together is a great environment to build connections. By cooking together I hope we can also create space for stories as well as creating a delicious feast that we will share together at the end. You can probably tell that I am very proud of traditional Turkmen food and my culture and I am looking forward to teaching you about it.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.