Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
Vegetarian Turkish cookery class with Meral | Station Style | LONDON
October 23 @ 11:45 am - 2:45 pm
It’s our joy to welcome you to our Station Style Cookery Class, a one-of-a-kind cookery class experience where refugee and migrant chefs teach personal recipes from their home countries using traditional techniques. It’s a unique opportunity to learn and taste the world’s best, and to feed the foodie in you who loves nothing more than trying new, mouth-watering flavours and incredible-looking dishes!
Your class will be taught by our wonderful Chef Meral from Turkey at Migrateful Cookery School, Clerkenwell.
At our Station Style Cookery Classes, each participant will be paired up and have their own cooking station where they will prepare all the dishes for the night. Each station will be provided with all the ingredients and equipment needed to make them. Throughout the evening, Chef Meral will share stories about their cuisine and culture, and lead the group step-by-step through their recipes. She will pause in between to answer questions, talk through special tips and techniques, and provide feedback on the dishes. Yes, you learn in the most authentic way! You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
Meral’s cook-along dishes will be:
- Imam Bayildi (Stuffed Aubergine) | Vegetarian; Milk
- Bulgur Kisir (Bulgur Salad) | Vegan; Gluten
- Irmik Helvasi (Semolina Halva) | Vegetarian; Gluten, Milk, Tree nuts.
This menu is Vegetarian. Allergens include: milk, tree nuts and gluten. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements! Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Meral:
“Hi, I’m Meral and I’m from Turkey, which is the cradle of many ancient civilisations. It is a country that consists of seven idyllic regions. Geographically diverse, it can be winter in one region whilst it is summer in another. Luckily, I have had the chance to live in different areas of the country, so I have an enormous repertoire of food that appeals to all palates.
While I was working as a Food Engineer in Turkey, I saw many poor food hygiene practices in the food industry, so I decided to make healthy and natural food for my children. I have realised that I like bringing science and food together like an alchemist. I make all my yoghurt, cheese, pickle, kefir and sausage at home myself.
I had to move to the UK with my husband and three children, because of political problems in Turkey. I have been here for three years.
Because of the current president of Turkey, the freedom of our country has been reduced. I can no longer travel to Turkey, but I will take you there to taste the best dishes because I’ll be cooking them with you.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase either when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 16 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.