Below you can find the calendar showing all our public Online Classes. If you want to search for a specific keyword (like “Syrian” or “Vegetarian”, you can use the following search bar and click on “Find Events”.
- This event has passed.
(SOLD OUT) Moroccan Cookery Class with Amanee | Family Style |KENT
November 2 @ 6:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Amanee from Morocco at St Martin and St Pauls Parish Centre in Canterbury, Kent.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Amanee as the head of the family! She will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Amanee will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Morocco. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Salaat Jardin (Garden Salad) | Vegetarian; Eggs, Sulphites
- Tagine Bilhummus (Chickpea Tagine) | Vegan; None
- Lamb Tagine | Meat (Lamb); Eggs
- Tagine Garnishes | Vegan; Nuts, Sesame, Sulphites
- Zaaluk (Roasted Aubergine and Red Pepper) |Vegan; None
- Batbot (Flat Bread) | Vegan; Gluten
- Salaat Aljazar Walbarba (Carrot and Beetroot Dessert) | Vegan; None
This menu contains meat (lamb) but is vegetarian friendly (6/7 dishes are meat-free). Allergens include: eggs, nuts, sulphites, gluten, sesame .
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Amanee:
“Hello! I am Amanee from Morocco. I am passionate about cooking and it has always been my dream to be a chef. I love sharing the wonderful flavours of Morocco with people new to them. We have so many delicious dishes. I am the oldest child in my family and I learnt to cook by helping my mother in the kitchen. She taught me how to make things from scratch – to make many types of bread for example. My mother always used fresh ingredients that she bought from the market each day. We lived near the sea and so cooked with a lot of fresh fish. I like our traditional food very much and the traditional methods. I love the sound of the pestle grinding spices in the mortar. We cook using our eyes and our hands, judging ingredients and quantities from experience and taste. Every Moroccan house has mint tea ready for their guests. I look forward to sharing mint tea with you.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.