The Migrateful family is growing!!
This summer we trained a brand new cohort of refugee and migrant chefs based in Canterbury, Margate and Brighton. After completing the 12 week Migrateful chef training course, they are now ready to teach.
This cookery class will be taught by the wonderful Syrian chef Manal at the Wild Artisan Cafe in Brighton.
This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced.
This is a team style cookery class where we will collectively prepare 4 dishes in 2 teams. Chef Manal will divide the class into 2 groups with each one responsible for creating the dishes. You are also free to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes. Chef Manal will recap each of the dishes throughout the evening and at the end of the class so that everyone can learn about all of the dishes. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Muhammara (Red pepper and walnut dip)
- Baba Ghanoush (Aubergine dip)
- Laban ma khiar (Yogurt and cucumber salad)
- Maqloubeh (Layered chicken, vegetables & rice dish)
- Vegetarian Maqloubeh (Upside Down Spiced Rice Cake)
- Maamoul (Date filled biscuits)
Allergens include: nuts, milk, gluten, sesame, and sulphur dioxide. Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements!
We will also be selling our beautiful Migrateful aprons! You can purchase them when booking your ticket (pick it up at the event) or before the cookery class starts at the venue.
A message from our Chef Manal:
“Hello. My name is Manal and I am from Syria. I have been living in the UK since 2014 along with my husband and two children. My love of cooking started at a young age when, like many Arabic girls, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen helping my mother to prepare family meals. I went on to study cooking at college and spent a couple of years teaching cookery classes for 14-17 year olds at a school in Syria.
Since arriving in the UK, I have channelled my energy into completing English language and book-keeping courses, the Migrateful chef’s training programme and I am about to start studying photography at university. I have also produced my own Syrian cookery book to raise funds for refugees and recently I have been asked to cater for some private events which is very exciting and something I would like to do more of. My aim is to build a successful career for myself which combines my passions for cooking and photography.
I can’t wait to teach you my favourite traditional Syrian recipes and to share stories about Syrian culture as we cook and enjoy a meal together.”
IN-PERSON CLASS COVID-19 POLICY UPDATE AS OF 10 DECEMBER 2021
In light of the recent developments in relation to the COVID Omicron variant, we will be implementing the following safety protocols for all our in-person classes, effective on 10 December 2021:
• All class attendees will be required to show their COVID Pass or provide a proof of negative lateral flow test.
- NHS COVID Pass – Find out how to get an NHS COVID Pass to share your vaccination details and test results
- Report a COVID-19 rapid lateral flow test result – Report your result after using a COVID-19 rapid lateral flow test. Find out what your result means and what you must do.
• Wearing of masks is mandatory at all times except when eating, unless you are medically exempt.• General safety protocols are highly encouraged such as regular hand-washing, social distancing and use of hand sanitisers.
We appreciate your understanding and compliance as always.
Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot on a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
Please note, we only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place.