Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Sammy from Nicaragua at All Saints Church in Peckham, London.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Sammy as the head of the family! He will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Sammy will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Nicaragua. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught includes:
- Crema de aguacate (Avocado Cream) | Vegan; None
- Bunuelos (Sweet Fritters) | Vegetarian; Eggs, Gluten, Milk
- Tortillas | Vegan; None
- Ensalada de Repello (Cabbage Salad) | Vegan; Gluten
- Gallo Pinto (Rice and Beans) |Vegan; None
- Carne Desmenuzada (Shredded Beef) |Meat(Beef); Fish, Celery, Gluten, Milk, Mustard
- Frijoles Molidos(Mashed Beans) | Fish; Fish, Gluten, Milk, Mustard.
- Plátano Frito (Fried plantain) |Vegan; None
This menu contains meat (beef) and fish . Allergens include: eggs, gluten, milk, fish, celery, mustard.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Sammy:
“Hello, I’m Sammy, I’m from Nicaragua, the biggest country in Central America. I arrived in the UK in August 2021. I was a medical student back home but due to the socio-political crisis in my country I was forced to flee, to leave my studies, my friends, my family and everything I knew. It’s like I never existed.
But here I am in a new country, with new friends and a new great family called Migrateful. Migrateful gives us hope. It brings people from everywhere together like family. It is good to have a place to come home to. I believe that if people keep moving, they would not be able to build a good life. In my class, we have created a little Nicaragua, where the food is very varied and above all delicious. Here, you will find everything Nicaraguan, from a good Latin dance to the best dessert you have ever tasted. I look forward to meeting you and having a great time in the kitchen together. See you in the kitchen soon.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.