It’s our joy to welcome you to our Station Style Cookery Class, a one-of-a-kind cookery class experience where refugee and migrant chefs teach personal recipes from their home countries using traditional techniques. It’s a unique opportunity to learn and taste the world’s best, and to feed the foodie in you who loves nothing more than trying new, mouth-watering flavours and incredible-looking dishes!
Your class will be taught by our wonderful Chef Momo from Syria at the Migrateful Cookery School in Clerkenwell, London.
At our Station Style Cookery Classes, each participant will be paired up and have their own cooking station where they will prepare all the dishes for the night. Each station will be provided with all the ingredients and equipment needed to make them. Throughout the evening, Chef Momo will share stories about their cuisine and culture, and lead the group step-by-step through their recipes. He will pause in between to answer questions, talk through special tips and techniques, and provide feedback on the dishes. Yes, you learn in the most authentic way! You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Fatteh | Vegetarian; Gluten, Sesame, Milk, Tree Nuts, Sulphites
- Mujadara (Grains Dish) | Vegan; Gluten
- Salata (Arabic Salad) | Vegan; None
- Mabrousheh (Syrian Biscuit) | Vegetarian; Gluten, Eggs
This menu is Vegetarian. Allergens include: gluten, sesame, milk, tree nuts, sulphites, eggs.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Momo:
“Hello, I’m Momo,
I’m the eldest son of a Palestinian father and a Syrian mother, I have six siblings who I love dearly. We grew up as Palestinian refugees in Daraa, a lovely city in southern Syria, which is also where the revolution started.
I later studied veterinary medicine in Hama city but unfortunately had to flee Syria right after I graduated. First I had to cross illegally to Turkey; it was one of the hardest experiences I’ve ever had to face, especially as I was alone, and at one point I thought it was the end. Surviving and successfully crossing gave me faith and a confidence in myself I didn’t realise that I had!
I went on to live in Istanbul, Turkey for three years until I finally came to the UK in mid 2019 through the UNHCR resettlement scheme.
After losing my father, my ambition became following in his footsteps and continuing some of his unfinished dreams, that’s why I’m working on establishing a Syrian cheese making business; just like the enterprise that he had when I was still in Syria.
I’ve always loved cooking ever since I was young. I used to experiment in the kitchen ever since I can remember. I’m always interested in exploring new flavours and trying new recipes. I believe that cooking is caring, dedicating your time and effort in making an enjoyable meal for your loved ones comes from the heart. I genuinely express my feelings and love through cooking. If you’re my friend, then you know I’ll have prepared something delicious for you every time we meet.”
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 16 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.