Nothing beats a home-cooked meal shared with family! And this is what inspires our Family Style Cookery Classes, a fun, laid-back homestyle cooking experience. Here, you will learn to prepare different dishes and then enjoy them with people who, like you, fuel our mission of supporting refugee and migrant chefs on their journey to integration. It’s a cookery class with a conscience, like they say!
Your class will be led by our wonderful Chef Kule from Sri Lanka at Coexist Community Kitchen in Bristol.
At our Family Style Cookery Classes, you will be grouped with other participants and prepare dishes together as a team. Think of Chef Kule as the head of the family! He will take care of dividing the class into groups, and each group will be responsible for creating one of the dishes. Of course, you are welcome and encouraged to move around during the class to learn about the other dishes being prepared. Throughout the evening, Chef Kule will share stories about their food and culture, and explain how to prepare each of the dishes so you come away with some new cooking tricks and inspiration from Sri Lanka. You will also be emailed the recipes after the class.
A sample menu of the dishes that will be taught include:
- Katharikai Puli Curry (Aubergine Curry) | Vegan; Mustard
- Manjal Soru (Yellow Rice) | Vegan; None
- Pachai Koli Curry (Chicken with curry leaves) | Meat (Chicken); Mustard
- Aviththa Muttai Poriyl (Fried Boiled Eggs) | Vegetarian; Eggs
- Cooni Eral Sambal (Belecan/Prawn Sambal) | Prawns; Crustaceans
- Ponnanganni Kerai (Ponnanganni or Kale Green Side) | Vegan; None
This menu caters to both vegetarians and those who eat meat (chicken) and prawns. Allergens include: mustard, eggs, crustaceans.
Please let us know if you have any specific dietary requirements so our team is aware ahead of the class but kindly note that we will not be substituting any ingredients to accommodate dietary needs so please only book into classes that suit your dietary preferences and needs. Please see our Food and Allergen Policy when booking into the class for more information.
A message from our Chef Kule:
“My name is Kule, and I am from the central part of Sri Lanka.
I moved to the UK in 2003. Most of the time I was relying on take-away and supermarket ready-made food. I was always craving for the flavours that I had in my childhood, especially my mother’s cooking. Ten years later, I was desperate to have these flavours back and called my mum to share her recipes. My mum taught me her secret chicken curry recipe. It was delicious, as good as my mum’s cooking. Ever since, I have tried different recipes and started loving cooking. It became my stress buster!
I cook for my friends’ parties, and they have always loved it. So, I started cooking in bulk for big gatherings. Aside from that, I also enjoy volunteering cooking for different charities around Bristol and love connecting with new people, learning about different cultures and traditions. Migrateful shaped me to become not just an intuitive cook, but now also an organized chef. I love engaging with everyone during classes- learning from different cultures, languages and traditions. I enjoy every moment of it.”
Thanks so much to Coexist Community Kitchen for hosting us!
We’re excited to have you in the class! Please take note of a few final reminders:
- We sell Migrateful aprons that you can purchase before the cookery class starts at the venue. Please note we only accept card payments.
- We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the class takes place that will include our In-Person Class COVID-19 Policy. You can also find more information on our website and social media pages.
- This small-scale class for 12 participants is not socially distanced. For those seeking a Covid-secure cookery class, please see our online events.
- We require a minimum of 6 participants to run this class and reserve the right to cancel it due to insufficient enrolment. If this occurs, we will, at your convenience, transfer you to another class of your choice of the same value. If this option does not suit you, you will have the choice to receive either a gift voucher for the class or a full refund. In the case of insufficient enrolment, we will inform you at least 6 days before the class.
- Payments made through Paypal can take up to 48 hours to have the order confirmed. To guarantee your spot in a cookery class we recommend using a debit or credit card.
- We only process refunds and ticket transfers if we are notified 7 days before the class takes place. No changes are allowed if the class is missed. When you register for this event, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions. If you are not able to attend the class, you can pass on your tickets so someone else can attend on your behalf.