Become a Cookery Class Teacher
Our next Cookery Class Teacher Training Program is happening in September 2023 and applications are now welcome. Sussex-based refugees, asylum seekers and migrants who meet the criteria can apply!
Hello, we are Migrateful!
Our chefs from all over the world are at the core of what we do.
Our training program offers support for refugees, asylum seekers & migrants who are facing challenges in integrating and finding employment in the UK. It is designed to provide a community and bring out your best, most confident self who can successfully make the most delicious, amazingly authentic dishes from your home country and share those with others.
We aim to take you on a journey from passionate home cook to confident cookery class teacher.
Reaching your full potential in & outside of the kitchen
The Migrateful Cookery Class Teacher Training program involves a 2-year development plan that starts with an initial 14-week workshop.
We are welcoming you to a safe, nurturing environment where you can learn and develop valuable skills that will prepare you to teach a Migrateful cookery class and to share your story, culture, knowledge, cooking tips and secrets with the rest of the world.
More importantly, we will work together on growth areas you need support on so you will feel encouraged to take on life outside the kitchen.
What are the benefits of joining the program?
- Learn how to teach others to cook dishes from your cuisine
- Improve your well-being, confidence & self-esteem
- Develop your English speaking, storytelling & leadership skills
- Build a supportive community & professional network
- One-to-one support and signposting to other orgs
- Earn £60-£100 for every class you teach if you have the right to work
- Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate (upon completion)
- Opportunity to gain work experience and plan your own business / earning opportunities
What are the key criteria to be considered?
- Must be Sussex based or within 1 hour commute to Brighton
- Must be over 18 years old
- English Entry Level 3
- Passion for cooking (no formal cooking or catering qualifications required)
- Must be punctual, accurate in time-keeping & able to attend at least 90% of training sessions
- Has reliable communication and organisation skills in terms of planning and creating menus
- Must be respectful, kind, and open to meeting new people and learning new cuisines
- Able to comply to food hygiene and health and safety laws
Next Cookery Class Teacher Training Program in Brighton: September 2023
Applications for our next Cookery Class Teacher Training are open! We will also be holding an open day on Thursday 10th August that will allow you to get a better idea of what the experience is like.
- An introduction and presentation from the Head of Chef Development, Omar Abourgebah & Brighton Trainer, Rachida Zitouni
- Q&A with one of the chefs who has completed the Cookery Class Teacher Training Programme
- Cookery class hosted by one of our chefs, where we will all prepare and eat a delicious meal together
How to apply
If shortlisted, you will be invited for an in-person interview.
By the end of the training program, you will be ready to teach cookery classes for Migrateful which you will be paid for if you have the right to work.The class will be easily accessible by public transport in Brighton.
The course will consist of 14 weeks of Cookery Class Teacher Training twice a week from September 7th to December 7th. The training location is in Brighton (Venue TBC)
Also note: Migrateful supports those who have experienced forced migration; for reasons of persecution, war, or poverty. In light of our mission, we do not accept applications from nationals of democratically and economically developed countries.